View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 03:57 AM   #2
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganraye21 View Post
i have just adopted a male 9 month old yorkie from a lady with 5 kids getting a divorce i picked him up last night she seemed to have no attachment to him saying goodbye. he is very hyper needs to be nutered. but she said she was good with kids and my 3 year old daughter he seems to growl at and she wont even touch him. i need any tips please on how to train him to go to the bathroom and relax. where should he sleep? what does any one recommend for food ect. someone please helpppp!! ty-ashley

First Welcome to YT. There are many many articles here, on puppy training and rearing, etc, that can be found in our library.

If you did not get his health records from the previous owner, please try to, or at least get the name of his first vet, so that your vet can request his previous records.

Sleep area: He should have a safe and warm sleep area. I like to use a crate, or you can use an expen for him, when you can't supervise the interaction between him and your toddler.

Exercise: Young and growing puppies do best will a few exercise sessions a day, of a shorter duration. He is 9mths old, and probably would be fine with at least 30 minutes of walking a day, plus a couple of short 5 minute or so play and training sessions.

Right now, everything is very new to him, after all he has been displaced from the only home he has ever known. He is probably scared and nervous, not knowing what to expect in this new place.

You will have to train your child how to interact with a puppy, and keep both safe from one another. It is advisable not to allow children to pick up a puppy, as they can be easily dropped and injured. Pet a dog with one hand. Play with puppy with child sitting on the floor. Don't allow your child to "chase" the puppy. Also no pulling on ears or tails. Have a safe place for the puppy to go to, to get out from underfoot. You child should not put her face near his, not for a very long time at least.

The dog is growling at the child can be from a whole lot of reasons; a) everything including this child is strange to him, he is saying and warning stay back, I don't want you near to me. This is a good response, not the best, but good. Do NOT force their interactions at all. If he doesn't want her near to him right now, that is okay; and will likely change over the next few weeks. b) young children often act in ways that are scarey to dogs. Their unco-ordinated movements, waving arms and hands, and high pitched tones can be very off-putting.

Please try to get your new puppy into your vet for a wellness check up. Have them check him out thoroughly, ears, eyes, structure, paws, etc.

Once again welcome and enjoy your stay.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!