View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
I have a real big "trust" issue....I firmly believe NO amount of training, will prevent them from giving into that predator instinct to chase....if they are sitting all polite and well behaved by the open front door, and Rocky the Squirrel darts by, I will bet a weeks salary they are going after the squirrel! That is just as much part of their being, as panting when they are hot. So, I keep mine confined in my sun room/den.....I have baby gates across ALL doors that are exit doors from the house, in addition to my foyer being blocked by an x-pen. I have an 8 foot expandable gate across the large arched enterance to the great room....my entire home inside, is fenced and crossed fenced!!! Kind of ruins the elegance of the home, but I do what I have to do to keep these babies safe! You read on here all the time about workmen or guests or kids going out the front door and leaving the door ajar and the baby darts out the door. Or, like "Teddy", who saw a cat, gave chase, and was gone out the front door! That is just something I do not want to have to try to get over....I have ENOUGH drama in my life without going thru that! I read about these incidences and my heart breaks for the people, but most of all for the pup, who finds itself alone and frightened and possibly in harms way, just wanting mommy!
Having dealt with a lot of dogs over the years, wow, do I agree with that! That's why Tibbe's "door spot" that he has to stay in is across the room! He doesn't get to come to the door. So he goes tripping to his spot and quickly settles himself down in it(it's like performing another trick to him so he's excited to do it and excited by the visitor at the door) and he just lays there all eager and excited by the visitor at the door and the praise he's going to get after the door is closed. I'm sooooooo proud of him. He's as proud of going to his "door spot" as he is rolling over, sitting up and begging or giving me a high give! To him, it's just another trick now - waiting for Mommy to go to the door and do her business in his "door spot". I had thought he might be too wild to ever get this obedient but thankfully, he's met my every dream so far. He's come so far. But I don't trust any dog not to give way to prey drive so that's why he has to wait away from the door. Thing is, he's so darn happy to do it!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!