View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Samiebaby
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Weak/Collapsing Trachea Worsening with Excitement

Hi Everyone,

My Max (5 years old), was at the vet this morning after a month of increasingly awful coughing/gagging after excitement. We have had many conversations about tracheas with the vet about our other yorkie, Maggie, but this was the first issue we've seen with Max. He's never exhibited symptoms until about a month ago. After insanely barking out our sliding glass door (we live at an apartment with heavy walking/doggie traffic) we will gag for quite awhile.

This morning I had enough of watching him and it has gotten much worse recently. Took him to the vet and the doctor lightly pressed on his trachea to recreate the symptoms. As I've learned, there's not much they can do to help relieve the problem but keeping him calm is pretty key.

This is where I need some advice. We've been looking into getting a Scatmat strip to put in front of the sliding glass door so he cannot look out. The vet suggested the citronella collar for barking. Has anyone had any experience with either? I ordered the collar this morning as it wasn't overly expensive.

Any other remedies to keep your doggie calm? Max has an over abundance of anxiety and has since we got him. We've always just accepted how crazy he is and have done our best to correct it daily. Now, it's making him uncomfortable with this gagging.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PS- he is having a dental done in a month or so, and the vet said they would x-ray him then to get a baseline of the severity of the trachea so they can compare it in the future.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!