View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayer5 View Post
Thank you for your feedback. My kids are older 9, 6 and 5 but my 2 younger ones are a bit rough with him or like to pick him up often and i know this probably has alot to do with it. But why when we are walking with him on a leash it is like my children are strangers?? scary barking like I would need to muzzle him thats how bad he gets. Did you ever have a trainer come in?
I did not have a trainer, but I am single and don't have kids or visiting kids. I train on my own and it is a lifelong process with dogs. It is challenge. There is never an age to quit and dogs don't grow out of things.

I do have a senior citizen in the house and can tell you that people need just as much training as the dog. Dad always forgets to tell the boys to "stay" at the door, etc.

Barking outside at your kids on walks -- your dog is probably generally nervous/excited outdoors and he is taking it out on the kids.

I think a good trainer, one who believes in positive reinforcement methods and one who will work with your kids too, would be a very good idea if it is possible for you. Just know that your dog isn't mean...he is acting out of fear and anxiety.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!