View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

I posted on the other thread, but I want to post here too. Please read this bill before you believe what is being written about it. This has happened so many times, and the bill is nothing like people are saying. I've been interested in getting this legislation passed. Gail do you understand that right now if you sell directly to the public or over the internet you need no license, no matter how many dogs you sell? The worst puppy mills are unlicensed facilities. People here are always saying stay away from USDA licensed kennels, they are puppy mills, but they are loads better than the places that sell over the internet. I don’t buy the statement that even if you sell one dog this will affect you. Have you read the actual bill instead of a third party statement about the bill? This will give the USDA the same authoritiy as when breeders sold to pet stores. Commercial breeders have been known to target small breeders and fool them into helping them fight their fight. The site that you linked doesn’t sound like an independent site that explains the bill, it sounds like it’s just propaganda for the commercial lobby.

Here’s what the ASPCA says about the bill. USDA Moving to Regulate Internet Sales-Based Puppy Mills
May 11, 2012
Quote:
On Thursday, May 10, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) announced its intention to release proposed regulatory language to close a loophole that has “threatened the health and humane treatment of pets sold sight unseen over the Internet and via phone- and mail-based businesses.” Due to the wording of the federal Animal Welfare Act—passed 40 years ago, before existence of the Internet—a large (and growing) population of commercial breeders has been able to escape licensing and regulation. Currently, only breeders who sell dogs to pet stores or to puppy brokers are required to be licensed and inspected by the USDA.The ASPCA applauds the federal government’s acknowledgement that a huge community of puppy breeders in this country desperately requires regulation. “No one is checking up on these facilities now,” says Cori Menkin, Senior Director of the ASPCA’s Puppy Mills Campaign. “Without a legal authority, federal inspectors cannot inspect these breeders. As the ASPCA has seen firsthand, the photos of happy, healthy puppies posted on a breeder’s website often grossly misrepresent what conditions are really like for these puppies and their parents.”
ASPCA policy experts are standing ready to review APHIS’s proposed rule—once our analysis is complete, we will share our position and comments with our supporters and request that they take action by contacting the USDA during its 60-day comment period.
We look forward to working with APHIS to ensure that the final rule is both enforceable and effective. Please stay tuned for our forthcoming Advocacy Alert on this issue and join the ASPCA Advocacy Brigade ASPCA | USDA Moving to Regulate Internet Sales-Based Puppy Mills
If one of you breeders are worried about not passing a USDA tests, you need to read more about their requirements, their minimum requirements are very lax. Kennels need to be a certain minimum size with no rusty prods poking through and things like that. Don't let commercial breeders scare you into fighting their fights.

Join today and remove this ad!