View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcerella02 View Post
Layla is on a specialized home cooked diet. She has high lipase levels although no symptoms of pancreatitis- so we are just treating her like she has chronic pancreatitis so be on the safe side.
She eats turkey, potatoe and carrot or fish, peas and blueberries.
Her treats are all low fat/natural. Her favs are pumpkin treats that I make at home- just pumpkin, rye flour and eggs.
That's it! No human food at all.
Tibbe had high lipase levels with negative CPL Snap and he was having the occasional tummy upset. He was occas. spitting up foam w/bile, not eating and lying about, doing a bit of reverse sneezing and quite a bit of belching and seeming to be having esophageal reflux. He would kind of belch and then start licking and swallow. He was doing a goodly bit of that and then he would reverse sneeze later. It seemed like he had too much tummy acid and was regurgitating it, burning his esophagus and then due to the esophageal and pharyngeal irritation from the acid, was reverse sneezing from that irritation.

When he got put on Prednisolone for what was perhaps an unobserved fall, his tummy really went south and he had lots of nausea, spitting up and all of the above all got worse. I'd been feeding him beef jerky treats in the late winter and that's when his spits ups seemed to start and then the reflux a month or two later so I stopped the treats altogether but still he was symptomatic a bit before the steroids.

His lipase was high and then we checked him for pancreatitis. Vet said high lipase is normal for some dogs as long as liver enzymes are normal and all other values normal so he recommended changing Tibbe to one of the GI diets that wasn't too rich. They put him on Royal Canin GI which seemed to cause itching and not really help his tummy or stool, but when he was changed to Hill's GI I/D, that did the trick after a week or more. He was also treated with Pepcid for the reflux for a month. He was put on Fortiflora enzymes for 2 weeks also.

Now he has no nausea, spits ups, no mucous-y diarrhea, no reflux, no reverse sneezing and I guess he's still got high lipase - we won't check it again until his next scheduled labs in the fall.

It could be the food that is contributing to his tummy troubles since he was having the problem to a lesser extent before the antibiotics. Tibbe cannot tolerate blueberries at all. They always irritated his tummy, even before last winter's symptoms began. Most dogs can eat them but not Tibbe. But it could be that the berries or the other food he's on is what is causing the trouble he was having pre-antibiotic. When the antibiotics are stopped and if he's still having trouble, your vet might start him on a different type of food just to see if his present diet is causing the tummy trouble.

Thing was with Tibbe, once he was started on the Pepcid and his Hill's begun, it took about a month before his tummy really settled down and his stools returned to normal with no other symptoms. He's back to acting normal again and eating well and no more spits ups, anorexia or reflux!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!