View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies Mamma View Post
Well Charlies results came back today there was no waiting involved. His Acid bile levels were way off the charts both fasting and after he ate.

Normal fasting Bile acid should be <13 Charlies was 30.3
Normal post meal Bile acid should be <25 Charlies was 71.3

Normal BUN is 6-31 Charlies was 32
Normal Neutrophils is 60-77 Charlies is 78

All other labs were normal

But this means that he has a shunt and that he should have surgery to correct it but I just dont know where I would get that kind of money ($3000-$5000). The surgery to remove bladder stones wiped out savings.

The vet has changed his diet to a food called prescription diet l/d and I will start him on a supplement called Vetra SAM-e it is supposed to help clean the toxins from his system like the liver should be doing.

An ultrasound with doppler can be done ($400) to see if they can visualize the shunt but there are no guarantees if the shunt is intrahepatic it would not be seen on an ultrasound. surgery is also very risky (I knew this) but they made apoint to tell me that.

They say that the diet and supplement could buy him time but that he would probably get the stones again and be in the same place

If anyone has gone through this I would really appreciate some advise maybe you have tried something that I havent yet

Here is my original post it has more information
http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/gen...ml#post3956327
No, no, no. This is not right. How'd they get the results back so fast? Who said they were 'off the charts'?

Bile Acid test results that are off the charts are more like 300-400, pre and post.

Your dog is 12 years old? I think I'd wait and sorry, but find a new vet for a second opinion, and redo the BAT in a month or so. If he had a shunt (the bloodwork does not validate that accessment) he would have had symptoms before now, especially if it was one that required surgery.

I would wait and retest, seriously. Low protein diet for now is okay and the liver med won't hurt him. Are the stones his only symptom?

My dog had recurring UTIs and had LS surgery... I've had her on Coconut oil for a year now (since her surgery) and the stones and UTIs have never come back. She is on L/D and meds, as her surgery was unsuccessful.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!