View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 04:34 AM   #15
jp4m2
Love my Boys
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
AGREE WITH ABOVE!!!
I would just tell my vet I would rather go by the AAHA recommendation for core vaccines, every 3 years....and quite possibly, at the end of 3 years, the AAHA may be recommending 5 years or longer....random studies have shown these vaccnes provide 7years or longer....there have been some studies that have shown they provide protection for "the lifetime of the dog". If you get flack from the vet, which you might because over 50% of their income is based on vaccinations and many are reluctant to let go of annual vaccinations, have them check titers....if the dogs is showing titers are good, then you have just proven your point, and there is no need to revaccinate at that time. And YES!!! they give the SAME vaccine, SAME amount, to a 4# dog that they give that Great Dane out in the waiting room!!!
The AAHA is sponsored by four vaccine manufacturers: Merck, Merial, Pfizer and Boehringer Ingelheim. Furthermore, the veterinary members of the task force certainly have a vested financial interest in how often vaccines can be delivered. AAHA is very conservative group; they've made great strides in bringing change, but many activists feel they haven't gone far enough because they're trying not to anger the veterinary establishment even more than they have.

In 2011, the AAHA updated their Canine Vaccination Guidelines once more. Here is the progression of the recommendations, ending with the 2011 recommendation:

2003: “revaccination every 3 years is considered protective”

2006: “revaccination every 3 years or more is considered protective”

2011: “every 3 years or more” with the following comment: “Among healthy dogs, all commercially available [core] vaccines are expected to induce a sustained protective immune response lasting at least 5 yr. thereafter”

These early recommendations prompted the AAHA to assemble a task force. In 2003, the American Animal Hospital Association Canine Vaccine Task Force evaluated the data from these challenge and serological studies and, while noting that the core vaccines had a minimum duration of immunity of at least seven years, compromised in 2003 with the statement that “revaccination every 3 years is considered protective.”

Task force member Dr. Richard Ford, Professor of Medicine, North Carolina State University, said that the decision to recommend a 3 year revaccination schedule for core vaccines was a compromise. “It’s completely arbitrary…,” he said. “I will say there is no science behind the three-year recommendation…”

https://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocume...Guidelines.pdf

I find this shameful.....The veterinary profession stands to lose much of it's credibility by ignoring these studies for their own personal gain.

As a side note, there's two titer testing kits available to vets for quick in office testing...Canine VacciCheck the vet can order this kit that contains 12 test kits for $240.00. This would be $20 for each kit, it takes 20 minutes to run the test.There's also the TiterCHEK' CDV/CPV, don't have any info on cost of this one.

Last edited by jp4m2; 06-23-2012 at 04:36 AM.
jp4m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!