View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc View Post
And I really question the labeling of vaccines being 1 year or 3 years. Technically there is no difference in the contents, and the amount is enough to vaccinate a 100 lb dog, anyway. So smaller dogs are always being overvaccinated no matter how one looks at it.

There is NO difference between a "1 year" and a "3 year" shot. It's the SAME thing. A dog is not any more or less protected getting one over the other. It's just wording really.

Don't do it. You have to stand up for your pup! There is so much research and science out there to prove how our pets are being so highly over-vaccinated.

Even 3 years, IMO, is way too much. Legally (in majority of places) there is no "requirement" for any vaccines except for rabies (which is every 3 years in most places). In other words, you can't get your dog taken away for not being up-to-date on DHPP, or whatever. Most daycares around here I have noticed will accept titers these days too.

I'm personally following Dr. Dodd's vaccine protocol. After the one year boosters, no more vaccines except rabies every 3 years due to the law. I will most likely titer Jackson later this year to see how much adequate response he still has to the vaccines he received in the past... but there is no reason to believe that vaccinations do not last for the life of the dog.

Quote:
The present study examines the DOI for core viral vaccines in dogs that had not been revaccinated for as long as 9 years. These animals had serum antibody to canine distemper virus (CDV), canine parvovirus type 2 (CPV-2) and canine adenovirus type-1 (CAV-1) at levels considered protective and when challenged with these viruses, the dogs resisted infection and/or disease. Thus, even a single dose of modified live virus (MLV) canine core vaccines (against CDV, cav-2 and cpv-2) or MLV feline core vaccines (against feline parvovirus [FPV], feline calicivirus [FCV] and feline herpesvirus [FHV]), when administered at 16 weeks or older, could provide long-term immunity in a very high percentage of animals, while also increasing herd immunity.
Age and long-term protective immunity in dogs ... [J Comp Pathol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Another good read: Science of Vaccine Damage
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!