View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
ancora_imparo
YT Addict

Jaeger is this way too, and he is also 6 months. I know that he was an "oops" litter between the owner's dog and one that the owner saw thrown out of a car and wasn't spayed in time. The owner was in full time college so she free fed the dogs, and I know they got plenty to eat (they were all healthy weights and Jaeger was the biggest one, very solid) but i think with 9 dogs, he just got used to eating really fast.

I don't free feed because he's such a gobbler, I'd be worried he'd eat til he puked. When he was younger I gave him 1/8-1/4 c. 3 times a day, and now I give him 1/8-1/4 2x a day plus veggies/fruit at noon.

I tried putting his kibble in a kong, but what helped us the most was hand feeding him. I use meal times as training times and he gets a few kibbles at a time.

Oh, I just wanted to clarify-Jaeger is a daschund/yorkie mix at 8.1 lbs, so I wouldn't take my advice regarding quantity of food-yours may need less. Jaeger's yorkie dad was 7 lbs, and his daschund mom was 12 lbs, and Jaeger himself is 21 inches long-gotta keep a little meat on his bones. At 6.5 lbs, we could see his all of his ribs.
ancora_imparo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!