View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
lynzy420
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
I keep my basket with all my whelping supplies, right there. After we xray and I know how many babies we are going to have, I will set up a "sterile tray" to work from. I have my dental floss already cut into a long piece at least 12 inches long! (so you are no fumbling around, all excited and shaking and nervous, trying to tie off umbilical cords with a 4 inch piece of string!). I have my sterile scissors, to cut the cord AFTER YOU TIE IT OFF NEXT TO THE BABY....I cut the cord about 1- 1.5 inch long....not too much longer, you dont want momma trying to shorten it!...I have scissors to cut the excess ends of the dental floss off...be careful you dont cut your knot you just made in the floss! I have sterile gauze "sponges" that I buy from medical supply store...they are great for grasping the slippery baby, and breaking open the sac so baby can breathe, and briskly rubbing baby to make it cry! It is very slippery, you dont want to drop it! I have my bulb syringe right there to suck out mouth and nose....I will allow momma to eat one placenta...maybe two, but that is all....it is necessary for hormones that she have at least one....supposedly this is where the hormone for bonding to the baby comes from, as well as milk production, etc....so she can have one, maybe two, but that is all! I put the baby immediately in with her so she can do the majority of cleaning the baby off, important in bonding too.....I am trying to visualize my tray while I am here at work so I dont forget anything....are you going to have an assistant? It goes quickly if you have an assistant hold the baby for you to tie the cord off....After I clear the nose and mouth and the baby is breathing and whimpering, the cord is cut and I am about to put baby with momma, I give each newborn 0.03 cc of Dr.Miller's Pet Nutra Drops. It stimulates them to nurse and they will suck it from the syringe...it is a great boost for the stress of being born and arriving into this whole new world! You can order it on line...it is super stuff and I always have it on hand for any stressful situation...keeps sugar levels on even keel, has vitamins, just good for them!
I'm not a breeder, but I do know that the most important thing is that you have a direct line to your vet in case your girl has any difficulties. I am assuming you have already had xrays etc?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!