View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #8
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmqtn View Post
I do the verbal commands "go potty" while she's doing it correctly, I forgot to add that. But since she only does it correctly once a day, I guess it hasn't really registered to her yet ..

I think I will try to tell her "potty" even if she's doing it in the wrong spot, kjc, thanks so much! I will update on how it goes soon hopefully it works! I'm excited to start this method now

I wrote a reply for you too, lillymae but it didn't go through I guess because I did quick reply?
Anyway, I am really interested in potty bells! I read about that but thought it would be too hard to teach her that but since you can do it, I hope I can too! Should I start potty bells while she's still learning the basics of potty training or after?

& Thanks to both of you! I've been lurking on YT for about a week and everything is so helpful! I've learned so much already
I have 4 dogs, 3 were learning the bells, but Sapphire would run the other way whenever she heard them! I have to find quieter bells I guess, lol!

Potty training can be hard, bc Yorkies are so smart, it's easy to confuse them. Like how can 'Potty' be good and bad? This confuses them, and they may start to hide to potty if they're not sure or start thinking it's bad. IMHO, Potties are always good, it keeps them going where you can see it. Then there's the question, Do you reward a potty that is just off the pad, like an inch or two away from it? I do. Their aim will get better. Also Sapphire is a Poo walker. So I'd have one or two on and one or two off the pad. I figure, she's trying and starts out on the pad, so this is good and as close as we can get at what I want to see happen for right now. Well, actually that was then, now she's narrowed her walking circle and 99% of the time it all goes on the pad. She's also trained to go outside, but I keep a pad down for when she's in heat and inclement weather.

Good Luck, and I want to say I'm impressed that you've done your research before getting your pup. I like helping folks, but explaining the very basics over and over again gets old quick! But it has improved my typing skills, lol!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!