View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Hi and Welcome to YT!

Your plan looks good, the only thing I can see is you need to teach her a verbal command as she's going potty, like "Go Potty" , that way she'll know what to do when she hears those words. Also when you bring her in, carry her in and put her in a confined area (gate the kitchen off) with a peepad or newspaper, so when she 'goes' you can reinforce the verbal command with the action, and treats after, always.

It takes a few times done correctly, before they really 'get it', even though she may be going through the motions at times. You'll know when she truly understands bc it's like a little light bulb going off in their heads and you'll see a change in her eyes when she looks up at you for her treat. Then she may start fake peeing to get the treat, lol.

I couldn't catch my girl 'going ' on the pad for two months, finally I rewarded her when she peed on the rug, just to be able to begin the training association of the verbal command with the action, and I'd work on the 'where' later. Sounds crazy, I even questioned myself , thinking I hope I'm not making a bigger problem, lol. It worked, when I did then catch her using the pad and I said 'go potty' and gave her the treat. But I went a little beyond that, I said " Oh yes! Yeah, you did it! WooHoo! Good Girl! Yay!" and clapped my hands. She noticed that I was overly excited and happy with her.

Let us know if this helps... and most of all be patient with her. Yorkies learn best when you reward/praise what you want them to do, and ignore the bad, they really don't 'get' punishment. So it's more of a matter of making the good happen (even if you have to stage a situation), so you can reward them, and they begin to understand what it is that you want them to do.

Last edited by kjc; 06-09-2012 at 01:00 AM.
kjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!