View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Carmeow
I♥ my girls Luma+Rosie
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
It's not as crazy as it sounds; mama dogs lick the poop off the puppies to keep them clean. Dogs don't smell poop the way humans do, they smell each ingredient separately and if there’ s some undigested protein in the poop, they will be tempted to eat it. The reason pineapple works is that it has bromelain in it, it’s the same thing found in many meat tenderizers and this “predigests” the protein, making it easier for the dog to digest all the protein, so that there will be no protein left in the poop and the dog won’t see it as nourishing. You can also use a meat tenderizer, but so many of them contain salt, and the dog doesn’t need the additional salt. Not sure of the amount, but I know many people used canned pineapple, and I’ve heard that 2-3 chunks work. Some people say less than a tablespoon works. Undigested protein isn't the only reason some dogs eat poop, so do it out of bordom, so pineapple wouldn't work. Since she's still a puppy, I think she might outgrow this habit.
What an informative post, Nancy! Thank you. Very interesting to read. I swear I've learned sooo much from YT. I love this forum

Carmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!