View Single Post
Old 01-22-2006, 09:21 AM   #52
Francie
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
I think I will let her know. I know she doesn't have internet access and maybe she doesn't know?

I'm sorry about Kia's overbite. It's amazing how we can overlook things and just deal with them because we love them so much. But, I don't think the breeders should assume that we will. Whether or not that is the case here I think there is a responsibility to do their best not to let these things happen in the first place and to be upfront about them when they do. Susan was definately concerned when I said "Luxating Patella" but then when I said it was Grade 2 she was insistent that it was no big deal and all Yorkies have bad knees. I said that it IS a big deal. Then she started insisting that he injured it somehow, even though the vet said it's genetic. She didn't seem interested in discussing it further so I told her I would let her know if it gets worse. I just hope it doesn't.

IMO....the "soundness" of the pup comes first and foremost....then you add all the "bells and whistles, i.e. nice coat, etc. A pup that possesses an even bite means he digests his food properly, and a compact body and straight topline, means his joints are in alignment. These are not qualities that are only for the priviledged Show Quality dog. This is all common sense....we need to take more responsibility when we purchase our pups. You know...in the "Horseshow World", it would be unheard of to ONLY trust the person selling you the horse. An unbiased outside vet or trusted professional would always come with to evaluate the horse. Why this is not done in the dogworld...I have no idea . For most people, this is a huge financial and emotional investment, whether for Show or Pet.

Francie
Francie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!