View Single Post
Old 01-22-2006, 07:30 AM   #45
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkieville200
Hi, Erin.

I really feel bad about Loki. His great grandsire, CH. Mischief Maker, is my Kia's sire. (Smooth As Silk is her Dam.)

It concerns me that Susan wasn't concerned when you told her that your vet said the L.P. is genetic.

I will tell you one thing; Kia has a bad over-bite. I did drop Susan a note in the mail about it. (Like you, I thought she might want to know about genetic issues. I wasn't expecting her to do anyhting for me, because I knew bites were not guaranteed. And I wouldn't have given Kia up for anything in the world! Because other than the bite, she's perfect!)

Did you tell Susan that the co-breeder is on StewiesMoms USDA breeders list? Who is the co-breeder?

I wonder why a breeder of her caliber would breed two dogs that neither is a champion. And no champions until that far back.

Reading your description of Loki's personality helps me understand why my Kia is such a barker. She's not agressive though, just "bossy". (Guess she figures someone has to tell me what to do and when to do it.)

Sheila
Actually Ch. Shakespeare's Cheatin Heart is Kort's Sire, and I think they liked that sire so much that they bred his son. Otherwise I agree, after doing more research I'm not sure why that would be done. All she could talk about was how beautiful Kort's puppies were. He has a DNA# on his papers, I have found out just means that the sire was used more than the "allowed" number of times in a certain time period so they had to DNA test the litters. Not a bad thing in itself but it can point to larger scale breeding.

I did not let her know about the co-breeder, I just looked that up the other day. (I assumed since I purchased the dog from Susan the other breeder was not an issue, guess I was wrong again.) I have been doing some more follow up research just for my own knowledge and since I did not see the parents I was concerned about a broker/puppy mill, which of course is everyone's fear. I'm confident that he did not come from a mill, however I do feel that he may not have gotten the personal attention that I originally thought he did.

The overbite is funny! Because when we went to the vet last week the first thing she said when she opened his mouth was "nice teeth!" so I guess he doesn't have one. Dogs with overbites are so cute, does her little tongue stick out sometimes?

I don't know that Loki is truly agressive either, but bossy is definately the right word. It's such a struggle not to give in because he's so darn cute. But we don't let him get away with it. He just tries and tries to get us to do what he wants and then gives up and THEN we get up and play with him or whatever. He's on what the trainer calls the no free lunch program. He has to work for everything. Sit, leash on, sit, leash off, tricks for treats, etc. I'm happy when he barks at someone outside, but he'll just start barking his head off when he wants someone to stand in the kitchen and watch him eat. Or he will "ask" to go outside then start barking at you when you put his leash on, like "That's NOT what I wanted!!". If he were a toddler he'd be on the ground crying, screaming, kicking and throwing a fit.

The reason that he gets into trouble with dogs is that he is not polite. I don't think that's agression either, but again a short temper. He doesnt go in looking to pick a fight. There are dog/dog social rules and he breaks them every time. He sniffs other dog, other dog sniffs him and he freaks out! It's like he never learned the rules. I think that's where the 10-12 week socialization (or lack of) comes though. He's just very immature.

When you got Kia did you get to see the parents?

Re: the guarantee. I was specifically told when we bought him that it was a return the puppy for a new one guarantee. Now, EVERYONE gets attached to their puppy even if it gets sick 3 days later. But for something like LP that shows up now a year later, I mean besides the fact that he is our CHILD I have put so much into training & socialization. No WAY would I trade him in and start over. Most people would never consider that. So even though there is a guarantee, I never put much faith in it to begin with and I supposed others shouldn't either. I just don't want this to happen again. It's nice to hear from breeders who do take that guarantee seriously. Thanks for that.

Honestly, going through all of this makes me want to become a breeder some day so that I can make the choices and try to prevent some of these things from happening. It's not something I'd do any time soon, maybe in 10 or 20 years if I found the right people to help me do it right, but I can't imagine anything more rewarding than helping to improve the breed I love so much.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!