View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
Ahis_Mama
Living In Paradise!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
You can't always looks at ingredients and think that he'll hate the finished product because he doesn't like the actual ingredient. For example, some people love cream cheese frosting, who hates cream cheese. The cream cheese can make the frosting a little less sweet and give it more of a creamy taste rather than just a plain sugar taste. The secret is using the right amount of cream cheese.

Also, people may think they hate pineapple, yet in the cake they would never know it's there. After all, you don't really taste the carrots, do you? Most carrot cakes have an abundance of oil, and oil actually adds very little taste, what it does do, is make the finished product taste soft and moist, however, you can use other things to do this, pineapple and applesauce will both do this, and will keep the cake really moist and you can cut the oil by 1/2. I know people think, I'm not counting calories on my birthday, but this isn't about that, the cake is actually tastier, because some carrot cakes really do have an oil aftertaste.

Here's my recipe, my son's favorite cake is carrot cake, and I've tried millions or recipes, this is a real hit with everyone, and so much healthier than most cakes, but I hate to add that part!

Carrot Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1-teaspoon salt
4 eggs
3/4 cups vegetable oil
3/4cup applesauce
1 ¾ Cup sugar
¼ Cup brown sugar
2 3/4 cups shredded carrots
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
1Tablespoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix sugar, oil, and eggs. Beat in flour mixture. Stir in shredded carrots, crushed pineapple, chopped nuts. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool. Makes great cupcakes too.

Frosting

• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
• 4 cups confectioners' sugar
• 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
Thanks for the recipe! I will try making this tomorrow.
Ahis_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!