View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #65
Ringo1
Ringo (1) and Lucy too!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navillusc View Post
Because the forum covers the world, and access to Emergency Vet Hospitals does not, reasons such as this would make a forum with knowledgeable pet owners, vets, vet techs, veterinary school students, etc...someone/anyone who can offer first aid advice or assistance until the pet can be seen by a vet...indispensable.

I know how distraught I'd be under such circumstances...and not for the 6' fall reason, but I've had to 'tough it out' til morning to see my regular vet EVEN AFTER taking a pet to the ER 'cuz ER DID NOTHING BUT RUN MY CREDIT CARD! My vet was a founder of the Vet ER, who didn't even have a vet on-site...just a clerk for taking credit cards..not even qualified for triage...and was SO APPALLED he gave me his home phone number. He also helped FIX the ER again and the next time they saved my baby from certain death.

On the brighter side, I did get my money back, and they made the 'mistake' of calling to see how I enjoyed their services...and got an earful. Even so, when I said, "how can you call yourself an ER without a vet on-site" and "if you took your non-breathing child to a hospital ER, would you expect there to be a doctor there?" they still defended their right NOT to have a doctor even called to the ER until after you signed the credit card receipt. On the night this happened, I'd have been SO GRATEFUL for a kitty owners forum with a kind soul to offer any assistance possible until morning vet office hours began.
I can appreciate that you had a unique situation. However, you must know that the vast majority of posts are not dealing with the fact that the OP has gone to an ER vet - only to find that no Vet was there.

I think that the professionals on YT have to be very careful about dispensing advice for life-threatening illness - in lieu of a Vet.

Most do give their advice - but it is always (and should be) tempered with - advice to see a qualified Vet immediately.

I see nothing wrong with that.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!