View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Teaching "stay" is key. Victoria Stilwell had a show where she taught the dogs to sit and stay on a little rug by the door.

While I believe training is of the utmost importance, I also had to put a gate up to keep my boys from the door. The other human in my house failed to give the stay command when opening the door and Teddy bolted out and chased the UPS truck. Luckily I was returning home and saw it happen. I called Teddy to me and he came. All it takes is one failure for tragedy to happen, so I put up the gate.
OMG!!! this is soooooo correct!!! Just one little slip up and it is all over but the crying......I think it is wonderful when you can see your dog bolting out a door, and you can holler, "STOP" or "STAY" or "SIT", or "BACK" and they stop dead in mid stride and come running right back to your side... what a testament ot an outstanding job of training!!! But, I just do not trust it....to me, that is a tragedy just looking for someplace to happen. So, the inside of my "House Beautiful" is fenced and cross fenced, with every door that exits the house, blocked from access by any adverturesome Yorkie-kid! I have double French doors that open out onto my private court yard from the Master Bedroom......I have an ex-pen stretched out in front of them so if another human "forgets" and opens those doors and leaves them ajar for even a minute, no one runs out, unnoticed, and then falls into the pond or gets carried off by a hawk. A/C men, pest control man, contractors (I am STILL fixing up following Ike from 2 years ago!!)....they are BAD about coming and going and leaving doors ajar.....MY BIGGEST NIGHTMARE!!!!
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!