View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiedaze View Post
Dry air inside, then you need a humidifier. Feeding dry kibble, then add a teaspoon of olive oil twice daily. Then make sure you have a gentle shampoo, and during the winter, dilute it down. Rinse really well. Use a good conditioner. Not one you "leave-in".
Ground flax is more expensive than whole, so if you have a little coffee grinder, then buy the whole flax and grind yourself. Just grind about 1/4 cup at a time and keep in the fridge and add a teaspoon twice daily.
Food can also be a major source of dry flakey skin and bumps that itch. It's completely impossible to figure out what the source of the allergy could be in a bag of kibble since the list of ingredients is extremely lengthy.
I home cook but they are on a Vegan diet since they are allergic to beef, poultry, fish and dairy. It's easy to find the allergy with home cooking.
Ralphie is on a food that is made for dogs with allergies and has limited ingredients, Wellness Simple Solutions, so it is a little easier to figure out what ingredient they are sensitive to. Ralphie has no bumps that itch, just white flakes so I really think it's has to do with dry skin that caused either internally, (not enough fat in diet) environmentally (dry air) or topically (grooming products and how they are used i.e. not rinsing enough, or too harsh contains alcohol, or waxy substance etc.)

Are all of your dog’s allergic to beef, poultry, fish, and dairy, isn't that unusual? Do they come from the same line? Glad you found something that works.

Join today and remove this ad!