View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonsmom View Post
Thank you Nancy, I do have a conditioner and we are in CT so our heater has been on but we have radiators so not forced air.
I would give him a bath to re-rinse and re-condition but he had his lyme vaccine today and the poor guy is not feeling too well.
I will look into the flax seed Do you grind the seeds? Sheldon is on dry food only so I don't know how the flax seeds would work with his food. Some one mentioned they add some oil, maybe coconut to the dry food?

Thanks again for your suggestions!
I buy the ground flax seed, but you have to refrigerate it, the oil will go rancid. If you grind it yourself, the seeds will last for years, and you only grind what your will be using, or refrigerate the rest, but don't give whole seeds, they won't digest the outer cover to release the oil. There is also flax seed oil and many other different types of oils that people use, but I like ground flax seed, not just for the oil but its also good for intestinal health. I give Joey about a tablespoon, sprinkled on his dry food, and my foster is now getting 2 tsp. I worked up from 1 tsp. His food is very low fat, so I'm guessing the oil is beneficial, and he’s the one with the flakes, his skin is much better than it was, he had some huge flakes and he’s such a little guy.

I know lots of people recommend coconut oil, I bought some and then someone said it might cause pancreatitis so I didn't give it to him. I almost used it topically, but his problem seems to be clearing up. Not sure how much to use, but someone else here might know the dosage. There's also fish oil capsules, that many recommend.

Join today and remove this ad!