View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2boyz View Post
We have narrowed Megan's allergies down to potatoes so I've been using rice in their meals instead of potatoes but I have a few questions for those who know.

1. Is it better to use white rice or brown rice in a home cooked dog food recipe?

Brown rice

2. Are sweet potatoes and white potatoes the same in canine nutrition/recipes?
No.

3. I've seen olive oil and vegetable oil used in home cooked recipes but which is better? Megan is sensitive to fish so no fish oil.
I'd use either corn or safflower oil over olive or vegetable.

4. How much oil is safe to put over each meal? I don't want to cause any problems.
This depends on the rest of the recipe.

5. Is there a good dog food that doesn't contain potatoes or fish?
I use RC yorkshire terrier for my dog Teddy, when he isn't eating his home cooked food.

The girls went in for a teeth cleaning and ended up with diarhea afterwards so they were on a diet of chicken and rice for a couple of days and Megan stopped itching. So, I started using rice in their food instead of potatoes and she is doing wonderful but I need to know if brown or white is better.
Brown. Or you could do half and half.

The recipe I use is from the epilepsy angels website (no, she isn't epileptic, it's a complete recipe for dogs so I use it,) it has chicken, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, zucchini and carrots. Is there something else in there that could cause her to itch?
Yes, dogs can have intolerances to various food items. My suggestion is to buy a $25 diet from Dr. Remillard's website that is at least appropriately balanced and guaranteed to be such by a board certified vet nutritionist. Welcome to Pet Diets
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!