View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
RachelandSadie
No Longer a Member

Default Colic is the hardest thing I've ever been through...

My son is colicky. He started showing signs at about 3-4 weeks and got very very bad at about 6 weeks and hasn't really settled down much since. He's always fussy at about 7-8pm until about 10pm-1am somewhere. It's better since we started a bath and story routine and started swaddling him tight again. It's just the hardest thing I've ever done. So hard to love a little one so much and not be able to fix it. Hard because my parents both think it's curable and fixable and that it's got to be something I'm doing wrong like i should stop breast feeding, or not eating the right things and making him gassy, or that i need to pump and bottle feed, or that he's just sick, or tummy ache, or needs a chiropractor and on and on and one to the point that i'm in tears today over my father telling me i wasn't ready to be a mother and should have waited if i can't handle the stress. the thing is my mom can settle him down and so can my dh. i don't seem to be able to settle him well because he wants to eat when i'm holding him. i give in a lot to soothe him, but it's taking a toll on my nipples TMI sorry and my mind.

i also need to learn to stop calling my mom with every crying fit. she's becoming a nervous wreak because she thinks she needs to try and fix it and she's over 100 miles away. she's mad that i don't follow all her advice but the thing is i'm more interested in just venting to her and the advice i follow is from a sister in law who is A) a neonatal nurse B) a mom of two breastfed kids and C) her son had a horrible case of colic.

my mom raised her last kid 19 years ago and has never breastfed or dealt with a colic baby. so she has nothing to really offer me. and she can't just deal with the venting anymore so i have lost the one person that always responds promptly to my calls or texts for HELP!!!

so i just need to vent again. i'm up for advice on what may help but please don't try to solve it because it's not a solution type of thing. please if you've been through a colicky kid talk to me. and if you tell me to stop breastfeeding you are wasting your time typing to me. i won't stop nursing that's not the problem it's just that he's got colic and there's really no cure. gripe water and gas drops don't work. it's rough and i'm stressed and it's putting a huge strain on our marriage and lives. prayers are great, someone who has been there would be great to talk to, and advice is always welcome even if i don't end up using it. yes for once i'm ASKING for advice on my kid...but you guys aren't cramming it down my throat unasked for like everyone else....thanks...
RachelandSadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!