Thread: Help ! Fleas?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBEVSBABY3 View Post
Kathy they have given her so many shots and said she had ear problems, gave me medicine to put in her ear. I thoought they said it was advantage, he put it on the top of her coat and rubbed it in. The flakes are not mites, I know them they do look like dandruff. I bathed her last night and I did not see anything. I combed her coat and pulled it apart and looked for any sign of bites. I wonder if they are tellling me things that are not true. I just lost my husbnad four months ago and I am not speaking up. Also it scares me because I lost my first yorkied 5 weeks after I lost my husband that is way I have BJ.
I am so very sorry for the loss of your dear husband, and your first Yorkie. My Deepest Sympathies to you and your family....

As for BJ and all puppies, they only need the DHPP (comes all in one shot) 3 times, normally given at 8, 12 and 16 weeks of age. If the vaccines are started at 12 weeks, it needs to be boostered at 16 weeks and that's it. The Rabies vaccine is best given a month later at 20 weeks or later (depending on state laws). All other vaccines are optional. Then at one year of age, the DHPP is given, and ideally a month later, the Rabies is boostered. It's best to give any optional vaccines (Lymes, Lepto) one month or more after the last Rabies (24 weeks +).

One cannot see mites, but dandruff like flakes can be caused by them, along with intense itching around the ears, under the front legs and on the tummy and chest. Revolution is a topical spot treatment that is a Heartworm preventative, kills fleas, mites, and ticks, and some internal parasites.

Topical spot treatments should never be rubbed into the skin. There is a product that is put in the ears, but I'll have to look that one up. I don't think it's Advantage, but I could be wrong. No topical product should be placed in the ears. Many do help contol ear mites though normal application. Here's a link to compare, it only listed Advantage Multi so I don't know if that's what your vet used or not:

Compare Flea & Tick Products - Reviews & Ratings

I also only purchase tick, flea, and heartworm products from my vet, never online or from petstores/grocery stores.

Here are some other links:

Info on vaccines is here:

Diet, Nutrition, and Health Library - YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community

The entire YT Library:

YorkieTalk Yorkshire Terrier Library - YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!