View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #72
LoveMyLouie
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Cry Sad Sad Day

We went to the vets office today at 5pm hoping to see a healthier puppy. We sat waiting for 45 minutes until they finally brought him in. As soon as I saw him tears filled my eyes, he looked the sickest I had ever seen him. Even more so than the first day. He just layed there in the towel. He wouldn't even lift his head, his eyes were partially closed and kept rolling back. The vet said she would give him a quick shot of glucose to perk him up and even after that absolutely nothing. He still hadn't eaten and I pulled back the towel laying over his body and he was emaciated. Nothing but skin and bone. Every bone in his body poked through his skin. The doctor said he had no protein and that she was really worried about him. His white blood cell count was very low and he had definitely taken a turn for the worse. She said our option was to take him over to another hospital for more IV's and a possible blood transfusion or to euthanize him.
This was the toughest decision I've ever had to face. I knew he was in so much pain, he had NOTHING on his bones so I can only imagine the pain he would go through being poked and proded more. She said he refuses to eat and that force feeding would only cause him to throw up. I lifted up one of his lips and looked into his mouth. It looked like they had tried to jam some soft dog food in there. He wouldnt open his mouth he was so weak and it almost seemed glued shut and stiff. I balled my eyes out wanting to think that after two more days he would be better but I knew and the doctor knew that the chance was slim and to keep him in pain and suffering would be cruel and selfish of me. Basically, she said they can sustain him on glucose but if he refuses to eat he will die no matter what they do. It looked as if he were going to die any second when looking at him on that table. I did what I thought was right and gave them the o.k to euthanize little Louie. She agreed that it was a "sound" choice. As me and my family cried for the little baby the veterinarian began to cry as well. I think everyone in the office had grown to love and care for him. I whispered in his ear that I loved him and I was sorry that we didn't get to do all the things we had planned on doing. Made a cross on his forhead and gave a kiss good-bye. It was the hardest thing Ive ever had to do and I've been crying ever since leaving the office. Thank you all for your love and support and caring advice. It was so much appreciated. God bless all of you and your babies.
LoveMyLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!