View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

Welcome to YT!!!

I'm so glad you found us by researching a breed before you purchase one. So many people don't do this and it leads to so many problems.

Prepare yourself, here comes a TON of information:
Yorkies are wonderful little companion dogs. Mine is spoiled rotten but definitely isn't a "diva". She rarely ever barks, isn't demanding for attention, doesn't have an ounce of aggression or attitude, is potty trained to go outside, knows her obedience commands plus a bunch of fun tricks, and LOVES every other living being on the planet. People who hate "little happy dogs" always end up changing their minds upon meeting my dog. Personally I trained my yorkie like I would train any other dog of larger size despite her being less then 5 lbs. However, I still always keep her size in mind and don't let her do things that may put her in danger and/or harm her. For example, she is not allowed to jump off of anything higher then the height of one stair. She has doggie steps for the couch and my bed. I also do not let children pick her up or adults I do not feel comfortable with. Any type of fall or jump from any height can easily break a leg on these dogs, or god forbid they land on their head or back, it can kill them. I am also careful with her around other dogs. I do allow her to play with dogs of all sizes but upon first meeting them I hold her and observe the other dogs behavior first to determine if i think they will be ok together.

Now, on to finding a yorkie from a reputable breeder. The first place I would visit is the Yorkshire Terrier Club website Yorkshire Terrier Club of America to find a list of breeders in your area. Also read the site to learn about the standard, health issues, grooming requirements, etc... There are also threads here on YT about what to look for when buying a yorkie and how to pick a breeder, and we also have a library filled with great informative threads about the breed

One of the first things you may notice is that Reputable breeders only breed yorkies that follow the breed standard. This does not include biewers, partis, gold dust, chocolate, etc... Partis, chocolates, and god dust colors are not standard so show breeders will not breed for these colors. You will find that many "breeders" that do breed these colors will charge a ridiculous amount of money for them saying that they are a "rare" color and therefore worth more. This is not true. The color is a fault and therefore should be worth LESS then the standard color. Stay away from breeders who promote their "rare" colored dogs. Sometimes they aren't even pure bred but mixed with other breeds to achieve the colors.

Biewers are a different story. They ARE a recognized breed in Germany and an up and coming breed here in the USA. I believe they are show in the Rare Breed clubs here. They have a slightly different standard then the yorkie. There are a couple different Biewer clubs here with different opinions on how the breed originated and how they should be bred so if you are interested in a biewer be sure to research all the clubs and their views before you pick a breeder. It can be very confusing and overwhelming and there are many debates between the groups. If you do a search here you will find a lot of information. There is a breeder here on YT who breeds yorkies and biewers that happens to be in MI. Her name here is Breny and her website is Home - Greens Treasured Yorkies . Many people here have puppies from her and they all have positive reviews.

Do not use google to search for a breeder. Many are puppy mills or brokers and you will only find heartache there. You should not have to pay thousands of dollars for a pet yorkie. You also will probably not be able to find one for $500. Generally, yorkies cost around $1000-1500 and viewers may cost slightly more. There are breeders who do sell for less (or more) and you may also find an older pup for a lower price.

Hope i didn't overwhelm you with too much information (or give you info your not interested in) but sometimes once i get going I just can't stop.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!