View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
navillusc
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Brody was 14 months old when I got him. He didn't seem like he was interested in being brushed and no top knot. I told DH to just wait...in a very few days, he will be begging to be brushed. I gave no treats for brushing, but brushed him a little bit several times a night, holding him and loving on him and after only a few days when he'd see me pick up the brush, he'd hop onto my lap all wiggly and happy waiting to be brushed. I started putting barrettes, bows and bands in his hair as soon as it was long enough. I developed a 'ritual' and he is now very used to it. He always gets loved on but no treats for top knots or brushing.

Mia was 17 months old when I got her and when her hair was long enough...like about 1 inch......she got her first top knot...which she shook out almost immediately, but not before I got a couple pix. She gets a top knot every day and is very good letting me do it. I gave no treats for top knots, but always give lots of love for everything.

I think consistency, patience, and perseverance make the difference...not age. For me, it is a matter-of-fact thing I do so they can see...and I believe they 'sense' that and respond in the matter-of-fact way they do. If they had been little puppies, I'd have started their top knots at the same time...when their hair was long enough. I made sure I was with them when they wore bows, bands, and barrettes at first, and only left them up a little while until they got used to them. I even would leave Brody's hair down while I was at work, putting it up only a few hours at night, and taking it down at bedtime, but I'd put it up first thing on weekend mornings until bedtime. I did that with Brody and Mia so they wouldn't think it was a chew toy, or eat them, and could get used to it gradually.

Mia, at first, after we got her, would grab Brody by his top knot and drag him around, and pull his bands and bows out with her teeth and Brody'd take the 'chew toy' for himself. He'll still (mis)take the bows when they're loose as chew toys. Now, she doesn't mess with his top knot anymore...but I used to warn her that her turn to be 'cave-man' dragged by Brody was coming...although he never has...don't know if that encouraged her to stop, though. As they got used to them...the way they felt in their hair, the (little bit of) extra weight on their heads, they seemed to take it in stride. Now, it's just one little bitty part of their every day.

Hunny is such a cutie! You will be able to tell when to start fixing her hair, but, since she's so adorable, make sure she gets to see how pretty she looks when you get her all fixed up, too!

Last edited by navillusc; 01-19-2012 at 08:21 PM.
navillusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!