View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
maximusAF
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle04 View Post
We use the Potty Training Puppy Apartment too and LOVE it! I bought it before we brought our Katie Scarlett home. She has done fabulous with it! She has never peed in her bed. Of course she has had the few accidents outside of it, but she learned very quickly. We got her at 12 weeks and she is now 6 months. I would say she is 99.9% of the way there. She may have an accident once in a blue moon, but it's very rare. We keep her PTPA set up in our den. She uses it mostly throughout the day. I do have 2 other pads set up throughout the house though. One in the kitchen, and one in our bedroom. That way if she has to go and she is not near her PTPA she has somewhere else she can go. She is doing great about going to the nearest pad. She is now 'graduated' to her big girl bed in our master bedroom at night. I keep the PTPA playpen set up around her big girl bed and there is a pad on one of those pad trays from Wal Mart in there and her water. She uses that pad at night and has done great. She does pee outside, but has only poopied outside once. We love our PTPA! It was worth every penny. We bought a bulk box of 150 pads, but we now use the pads that come from PetSmart. It's cheaper than ordering them online and paying shipping. I get a 150 pack at PetSmart when they are on sale for like $29 and they last us a long time.

Of all the advice I've been given and I did the same....wait until all shots are finished before going to the groomers. You can go ahead and start bathing your Yorkie yourself though. I gave Katie Scarlett a bath the first night she was home and she gets a bath once a week. Go ahead and start brushing one to two times a day too. Get them used to the brush while they are young. As soon as you can, go ahead and start doing a top knot too if you want a top knot. I started that early and Katie Scarlett protested for a day or two. As soon as she'd get it out, I'd put it right back in. I think she finally figured out that it kept the hair out of her face and now she loves her groomings. She even gets in the down position and stays perfectly still while I do her top knot. You can start keeping nails trimmed to if you like, but I do not trim Katie Scarlett's myself. It just makes me so scared that I'll cut into the quick and they will bleed so I do not. I let the vet cut her nails or a friend who is a groomer. I keep them cut as I should, but do not do them myself. I know many YT'ers do though.

As for the ears, I'm not sure on that one. But I know many other YTers can help you. Katie Scarlett's ears were up when we first go her. It was one of the things that made us fall in love with her. I just loved her ears!

Welcome to YT! Hope I helped some! Would love to see pix of your baby!
Great! Glad to know someone else that is using the PTPA. As I mentioned earlier, she has done great with using the bathroom in her apartment (while contained in it). At times during the day, we'll put a baby gate on our wash room and give her that entire room. Her apartment is in that room with the doors open. This is when she's having her accidents. Sometimes she'll go inside of her apartment to go potty, and others she goes potty right in front of the gate. I've got some Nature's Miracle to take care of that spot, so maybe that will help some. So, now I've just go to get her to the point where she'll go to the pad in the apartment every time she needs to go potty.

How long did it take your Yorkie to get to this point?
maximusAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!