View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
AF pups
Yorkie Yakker

Confused New member needs travel advice

I just wanted to intro myself and my fur kids and ask for a bit of advice. I have been lurking on the boards for over a year now but just recently became a member to post! I never joined to post before since it seems like there was always an answer to any question I ever had already posted! I'll give y'all a bit of back story so maybe you can help answer my question below.

Husband and I are stationed overseas in Germany for a few more weeks and we are getting ready to move back stateside with our two teapots (Theodore aka "Teddy" and Chloe aka "princess"). At first they told us they would have to go under the plane and made us buy medium sized kennels for each of our yorkies. They are about 8-9lbs and quite tall as they fit closer to the German breed standard here. We found out last week from our airline we couldn't ship them under the plane for the very last leg of our journey through O'hare so we had to switch to taking them in cabin with us. Thankfully after reading all the advice on here and on Dog Jaunt I found a carrier and we can transport them no problem and have found most of the answers to my questions.

My problem is that with layovers my trip from Germany to TX will take us about 29-30 hours total. Since we are military I didn't have the option to stop in route like I would have preferred. This is how my trip is booked so maybe you can offer advice about feeding etc so that I can get them through this safely. They have never flown before but have done many road trips with us. We have to check in 6 hours before our flight as per the military so we will be at the military airport until then. Then we have a 9 hour flight to BWI and will thankfully land next to their pet relief area. We have about a 3.5 hour layover at BWI before we change terminals and airlines to head to O'hare. At O'hare we have about a 2.5 hour layover and again we fly into one of their pet friendly terminals with a relief area.

My question is where in my journey should I feed them? Should I wait the 30 hours of travel before feeding them? My gut tells me they will need to eat but I wanted to check. Can I take a small bag of dried kibble on the plane with us since they eat a special food? I know from car trips they get sick off of wet food when they are anxious. We will be putting their calming collars on and will take the calming treats with us if we can. For us collar + a treat = snoring yorkies on our road trips!

Thanks in advance for your replies! I am just hoping to make this move as easy on all of us as I can.

(I'll post pics once I can get my image program to work so I can resize my pics)
AF pups is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!