View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
sportschick
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Thanks all

A few of you posted about talking to the landlord. The problem is, the landlords are friends of mine and they thought they were doing me this huge favor by replacing all the old carpet and putting new "fresh" carpet down. They also thought it would be better for the dog to be on new carpet. THEY can't even smell the new carpet, nor the crap coming out of the heat because I have already talked to them about it. They are actually really upset about the fact that it is bothering me, but there isn't anything that can be done, short of ripping up the carpet. But then SOMETHING has to be put down on the floor. And they don't have the money to put the really expensive "green" carpet down, nor do I have any more money left to do it, or lay some kind of flooring. Which presents its own problems with glue, etc.

I think once I have the baseboard filter grates professionally cleaned on the 10th, that will make a big difference as to what is being blown out by the heat. It is actually getting better the more the heat is on, but there is still so much gunk in the grates. So, maybe THAT problem will be solved.

And yes, I have actually had the carpet steam cleaned, which removed the stupid Scotch Guard that was put on it, but not the smell.

A lot of people that have come into my house don't smell anything. A few of my friends (who are extremely sensitive - like me) smell everything the minute they walk in.

Also, moving again just isn't an option. I have already spent a TON of money to move, on furniture, etc., etc., etc. So, my only option is to find a way to remove the chemicals and irritants until the warmer weather when I can open the windows. I have read the carpet outgassing DOES go away, but can take up to 3 months and the smell (for those of us who CAN smell it) can last even longer.

I moved from a very old family home that had its own set of problems - mold from roof leaks, a person on the first floor smoking inside occassionally, mice in the walls and 4 cats on the 1st floor (talk about a smell). Hence my decision to move, especially after I decided to finally get my Yorkie. I tried to gear my decision to being the best for the dog, particularly since my friends are home all day and can check on her when I am at work. My friend's husband asks me every day when she is coming and I have to keep saying I can't get her until I clear out the fumes in the house. Which, of course, he can't even smell. If I had known that I was moving BEFORE I decided on the dog, I would have waited till the spring time, and bought a dog from a different litter and I wouldn't be having these issues because the windows would be open.

Sorry for the long posts, but I figure this is the best place to "vent" and get ideas as to how to make my house safe. Thanks for the link to the air filter. I am going to call a few other allergy type places around the country and see if they have any other suggestions. If I can get the "right" air purifier and run it for a couple of weeks, I think I will be o.k. and then I can get the dog. I won't get her until I feel healthy inside the house. I would never forgive myself if I got her too soon and something happened to her. Plus the breeder absolutely will not send her to me until I tell her that my house is o.k., and I am not going to lie just because I so want my dog.

Thanks again all.

P.S., my friend told me that this picture of her looks like she is sad because she can't come and live with me yet.
Attached Thumbnails
New Yorkie New Carpet - Another Question-photo-2-.jpg  
sportschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!