View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #11
SoCalyorkiLvr
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalyorkiLvr
Sure...I had already referenced the citation in two other posts today in different threads so I didn't do it here, but I found this when we were researching the risk of breeding the female yorkie, but I was able to post it in that a thread as the thread was closed before I could do so.

The survey is cited and some of the results are presented in "table" or graph form on page 148 of this veterinary article on dydtocia.
http://www.intl.elsevierhealth.com/e-books/pdf/974.pdf
This is what I posted in another thread earlier to day:

Small breed dogs in particular seem to have a greater risk and problem with dystocia than other breeds. There is a survey on dytocia dicussed in this article done in South Wales and it was conducted in 12 veterinary practices. Of the 265 cases of dystocia 26% were yorkies, 8% were jack russell and 8% were welsh corgies. The only problem with the accuracy of the survey is that there was no information as to the numbers of these different breeds in the general dog population of the area so there may have just been more yorkies there.

In any case, the experinced breeders on here and elsewhere will tell you that there is a high risk to breeding any yorkie female so it is very important if and when you decide to think seriously about breeding any female that you do everything posssible to minimize this risk.
SoCalyorkiLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!