View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
SoCalyorkiLvr
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispersmom2
I don't understand the use of the term "breed standard" with the quote of 5-7 pounds. If I read the standard correctly, the standard is to 7 pounds as adult. Are you using the term in a different context? I have not read the other posts so if you have answered this question just refer me back to the post.
I read and see a lot of opinions stated by authors-I am not referring to the originator of this post as I do not know her or where she finds her search results, so do not take this personally. I am saying that many times when I have read results of some search it ends up being little more than the opinion or translation of the data of the author.
I have known and continue to have very well known friends/breeders and it seems we can have as many opinions about some of these "facts" as we have numbers of breeders discussing the reports.
The current differing opinions about PSS that is being discussed now is one example that comes to mind. These things can be very disconcerting to responsible breeders, handlers and owners. I hope I have not gone too far off topic but to me so many facets of breeding and caring for our breed are intertwined.
I used the term "breed average" when referring to the weight of the dog...not "breed standard". The veterinary survey I referenced mentioned that 26% of the dogs who had dystocia were "under the breed average" in weight. This supports the idea that it is riskier to breed smaller than average yorkies.

While the breed standard for weight is "up to 7 lbs", the "breed average" weight for the yorkie is around 5 to 7 lbs I believe. Is this correct?

What is PSS?
SoCalyorkiLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!