View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
McheleM
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinokaya View Post
Over the last week I have run into a problem with my six month old Yorkie Lilly running out. I am super careful to make sure the front gate is always closed, but my kids, and moreover their friends aren't always as careful. The front door is just about five meters from the front gate and with kids coming in and out she can get out within seconds. I am scared to death that she is going to get hit by a car. She listens, and comes when she is in the house, but as soon as she is outside forget it. I have tried working with her outside and am utterly unsuccessful. Any ideas? Someone suggested an electronic fence/collar at the gate, the thought of shocking her breaks my heart, but the fear of losing her to a car breaks my heart a hundred times more...any feedback about training, the use of electric collars....would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
It's called a harness and a leash, and training her to wait at the door. Allie will lay down by the door when I say "wait" until her leash is clipped. The door isn't opened until that happens.

Train the kids as well.

Anyone who would shock a dog, especially a small yorkie needs their brains examined!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!