View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #17
betterthanlife
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretegurl View Post
A breeder who shows is foremost concerned with the betterment of the breed and finishing (championing via show) their dogs.
However when a dog gets older they not only are tired ready to retire but need to retire where they can be fully focused on being the center of attention.
This is why retired "breeders" are petted out any good breeder doing this will be often be harsh in who they allow to adopt their previous show dog-going as far as having very strict adoption contracts sting what the dog is allowed to be fed, weather or not they will allow the dog to be vaccinated, the type of training allowed & expected, the accommodations afforded to the dog oh and a requirement of continual contact. etc etc etc.
This is how it was explained to me (by a mini. schnauzer breeder) she however doesn't charge an adoption rehoming fee you must give her a medical deposit and that fund proves you can afford any needed care you draw from it and show proof of the care provided. The way she does it takes more of her time than if she just sold off her dog-it's not about effort it's about the dog getting the best retirement as she is still busy showing other up & comers.
Thank you very much for providing more insight on that subject. I guess I could never be a show breeder. I would get too attached to the dogs, and I would have great difficulty letting them go
betterthanlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!