View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
DJDB
YT Addict

My b/f has had a cockateil for years. We got Ozzy about 5 months ago, but he was only 12 weeks when we got him. He is already trained to leave the bird alone, to the point where my b/f can sit on the couch with the bird on his shoulder, and Oz will get up on the couch and curl up and sleep a couple feet away.

When we first brought Oz home we would hold him up beside the bird in the cage so he could smell it, but not close enough to touch. Did that for some time, then we would let the bird out while Oz was in his harness, me holding onto him. If he made any move toward the bird I held him and said a firm NO. Same when the bird would fly around. Hold on and say NO. Did not let him ever get "excited" about the bird. Now he totally ignores the bird... I figure he has learned that the bird is important to us. I was worried, too, because Miko makes noises just like Oz's squeeky toys! Oz has recently taken up the position of "seed hoover" under Miko's cage.

So, it can be done. However, I think it would take a lot of time with two dogs, especially since they're older. I don't know if I would ever trust them with the bird out and about, but I think respect for the bird and its area can be learned over time. Good luck!! And welcome!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!