View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
TeddyGrahams
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Ignorance is bliss, right?

Get ready for a mini-novel:

First off, hello! I'm Dee. I've been here for a few weeks but never really made an introduction. I was waiting till Teddy was home before I did any of that. So yes, I'm from Texas and have just got my first yorkie puppy. I had a rescue yorkie before that passed away due to heart problems. I got her when she was older, and I hope I gave her the best life. I love this board and I have learned SOOO much, especially what to look for in a breeder, I was incredibly confident with my choice, but with that being said:

Teddy FINALLY came home, after such a long wait. While he is an adorable puppy I feel that I have been lied to. I was told he would come with AKC papers and pedigree, but he came with APRI papers and no pedigree, no certifications (his parents tests which I asked to see). I was told I would get copies of all of these things and when I asked about it, she said all I have to do is fill out the APRI form and it will send me the pedigree. (BUT the parents aren't AKC either and APRI really is not credible at all) He was handed to me and he had a bad smell like old pee. But the breeder said he was given a bath yesterday. My thought process was well..he is a puppy, they sometimes step in their pee.

What worries me is that, even though I saw that he was coming from a family environment and I met the parents, I didn't really see where the puppies were kept. (They were all just out running around when we went over, I assumed their sleeping arrangements were xpen) He's very reserved. When I met him the first time he was bouncy and happy to meet me. I think maybe it could have been the stress from the long drive and being taken away from his family (he's 16wks and im sure he's super attached to his mom and littermates) I have not had a new puppy in a VERY long time. I've always rescued adult dogs, so im not sure what to expect, but I don't know how normal it is for this behavior and also to have super soft/runny stool. When we got home I sat with him outside and he pooped and then when I went to pick him up he flattened himself on the ground. Which seems really uncharacteristic for a "well socialized" puppy.I gently calmed him as I picked him up and now he's fallen asleep on me on the couch.

Now, it's like why did I take him when I felt really uneasy.Well, I felt bad for him and the breeder told me that many people were asking about him and I don't want him to go to the wrong person who might not have patience for this little guy. This little puppy being handed to me just looked so scared and I didn't understand what happened to him over the past two almost three weeks since I saw him last. My hubby said he's just scared and to give him a few days as he handed the breeder the money.The breeder was such a nice person that I really didn't want to believe that all may not be as it appears. However, on the drive home my husband suggested that I get a DNA test to give me peace of mind, my response was "well, ignorance is bliss right?" I think I will get a test though, I didn't pay an extreme amount being that he's a parti yorkie, but if he's a mix then I overpaid and I would really hate to be the person to sue my breeder but I thought I was getting a dog from this really great person who has turned into someone pretty fishy...

Don't get me wrong I am happy to have Teddy and I will work with him on his socialization and confidence. I have no problem helping this little guy, and I will love him no matter what. it's just the fact that I may have been blatantly lied to that upsets me. He's going to the vet on friday (sooner if he continues to have runny stool) if he has anything going on this breeder will have a lot of explaining.

Here are some pics, he's now inching his way to get closer and closer to me. Such a sweet little guy. If this has ever happened to you, what did you do?
Attached Thumbnails
Ignorance is bliss, right?-imag0273.jpg   Ignorance is bliss, right?-imag0274.jpg   Ignorance is bliss, right?-imag0276.jpg  

Last edited by TeddyGrahams; 11-15-2011 at 08:27 PM.
TeddyGrahams is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!