Thread: Pet Stores...
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
Teresa Ford
Therapy Yorkies Work
Donating Member

Just my opinion, I rarely think an answer is is 100 % when we generalize or give a blanket answer.
My local Petsmart does NOT sell puppies. They have local rescues, ASPCA, and Humane Society adoptions in their store every Sun. More often than not the Boxer and Greyhound rescues are there.
Also there is small privately owned pet store that works with local breeders (and yes I guess some would be called backyard breeders) and a parrot rescue. The puppies are not caged. Puppies are in a play pen and the litter owner is present . If a puppy is sold, the pet store owner gets a set fee or commission for each pup. The pet store owners requirements are basic. All puppies must have a current health certificate,up to date shot record, be flea and worm free and on preventive. Puppy owners must provide a one year, money back guarantee in writing that the puppies do not have a genetic defect or disease. ( I know some things do not show up in a year) The store owner breeds French Bulldogs herself.
My point being, that you must do your research, ask questions. If a puppy's club papers are not local, most likely it is from a puppy mill. Can you see the parents ? Who is their Vet ? What organization has the puppy ? How and why did they get the dog ?
Remember all puppies are cute, so don't buy cute . My best advice is find a good breeder,that has a good reputation first and if necessary wait for a puppy. Or work with a well known rescue. I hope you find the perfect puppy for you, Best Wishes, Teresa
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!