View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 06:45 AM   #44
myteddybear
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrysmum View Post
Please, please, please don't think that everybody born and bred in the UK are rude people, wandering around with huge dogs. That just isn't the case . We live in a small Close of 24 houses, and there are 3 Yorkies here alone. There are also 2 poms.

I think it depends largely on location. In the 'rougher' parts of the Country and 'not quite so desirable' Cities there are a lot of predominantly Staffordshire bull terriers etc. But in good old Surrey there are loads of Yorkies, Lhasa's, chi's, cocker spaniels + the 'poo' crossbreeds. The larger dogs are usually labradors, pointers etc.

And yes, the Yorkies here are bigger, in general - I just think the breed standards differ between the 2 countries. You can get tiny ones, but here it just isn't the 'norm'. I'm actually amazed that people here are being rude to you in any way and I apologise for my fellow countrymen (+ women!) that you've encountered that. Normally, it's the teensy little dogs, in my experience, that get all the attention and cuddles I really hope things improve for you both. Sally + Harry x
Aw, I don't think that at all! I find Most English people I have gotten to know absolutely lovely! Really the things I am hearing on the streets here are no different from the states, aside from the tail comments which I totally understand. So my frustration is not new or because I am here, just annoying everywhere. I did wonder if the not seeing smaller dogs was the area we are in as well. We are in Welney and the high streets we have taken her to so far are in Wisbech and Ely. There seem to be a ton of dogs being walked in Newmarket so want to take her there too. I wish there were areas around my house to walk her but we are in the middle of farmland so our choices are dirt road out the back with no socialization opportunities or the busy street at the front with no pavement (sidewalks) and cars zooming by fast.

I have been reading a thread on dogster this morning about why people like small dogs and it is amazing to hear the view of people who don't like them tell why.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!