View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 12:30 PM   #9
txshopper73
Donating YT 14K Club Member

I'm so sorry with all that is going on with Reese. She's lucky to have a mommy like you to care for her. Many probably would have abandoned her and you have not done that...she is your baby and that's how it is suppose to be.

I'll try to answer your questions but all of this is my opinion.

Puppies have much development and socialization that occur between the 8-12 weeks of age. I have heard that often times, pups that are released before that time will have aggression issues when they are older. All of this is just what I've heard. I'd say to never purchase before 8 weeks of age.

Papers---many breeders only sell on spay/neuter contracts. They will hold the AKC papers (or other affiliation papers) until proof of neuter/spay is provided by the vet. Many show breeders sell on spay/neuter contracts. It really just depends on the breeder. I would not say that breeders that sell with full registation are all bad. You should really go to their home and check out their stock and see what kind of qualities the parents have and if the parents fit the breed standard...there are so many aspects to look at.

Return of the pup---again, this varies by breeders. Some will take a pup back with full refund only for a couple of days after purchase, some may be a couple of weeks, while others will do it up to a year. It all depends on what the contract states. Some contracts will state that the breeder will have first chance to buy a pup back...may be for the full amount or may not or they may not want the pup back, period.

You need to read over the contract carefully. Find out what the breeder will cover and for how long (congenial defects, etc). A good breeder will be very open with a potential buyer and if they don't want you to see the parents or premises, that's a big red flag.

Of course, this is just all my opinion and I'm sure other breeders will elaborate on this.

Best of luck to you and hugs to Reese.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!