View Single Post
Old 01-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
YorkieRini
Livin' La Yorkie Local
Donating Member

Default Opinions on Breeder Types

I am curious to know how you would define the following types of breeders. These are all terms I have persoanlly heard of. If I missed any, feel free to add it to the list and a description.

Backyard Breeder: Someone that knows NOTHING about the history, standard or reproduction. He/She just sells to anyone and doesn't educate the new owners.

Hobby Breeder: I really don't have an opinion on this. I don't use the term anymore.

Professional Breeder: Someone that is well versed in all aspects of the breed (History, standard, reproduction). They know their lines and make thought out decisons as to why to mate a pair. I would say the majority would show as a way to measure their breeding program.

Commercial Breeder: Someone that is knowledgeable in reproduction. Has a large breeding facilty with all the amentities to keep their dogs comfortable. Some may be well versed in all aspects of the breed but are not.

Puppymill: A large facilty that breeds dogs for profit. Nothing else matters. Kennel conditions are filthy and unkept. Most of the time puppies are sold to pet stores.

I am sure there are other opinions, some may not agree with mine. Let's just keep this civil. Neither of us are right or wrong. These are just opinions, nothing more!

Thanks.
YorkieRini is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!