View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #29
SnowBlueYorkies
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post
In a way you are right. Some championships are not worth very much. Taht's why if I am interested in someone else's stud dog for a stud service, I want to see the dog first.
Tricky bit for me was to learn the judges and what they will do and which end of the lead will they judge. Another thing I learned along the way that my mentor taught me and she was right, professional handlers or many years experience breeder/owner/handlers can make a lesser dog look better even though maybe I have the better dog.
And yes you do have to be out there consistently to become that familiar face called paying your dues.
HOwever, having hung around the show rings for many years, been part of the show rings myself, there is nothing more pleasing than seeing a lovely show yorkie strutting their stuff around that ring with a good handler who knows what they are doing in presenting the dog. Yes I have seen some pretty poor quality put up for points, hard to fathom of course, but I don't know of anything where competing is involved where the system is perfect.
Then there are also possibilities you would not know that a judge does because they actually examine the dog, such as poor bite, poor stifles, coat issue that sort of thing that you would not notice at ringside unless you knew the dog. Some judges will not put up certain things regardless.
So your saying no matter how good a yorkie you have even if he is a model yorkie he still would not win until he has been shown alot of times? I guess paying your dues means buying a championship title. I personally think the best dog should win and even its his first show. Punishing newbies is not something i would be proud of.

Join today and remove this ad!