View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
Belle Noir
YT Addict

Bleach is my favorite disinfectant, but many kennels use antiviral disinfectants rather than bleach, because of the corrosive effect bleach can have on the mucus membranes. Kennel-Sol is one that I know is pretty effective. Kennel Kare is another.
The problem with canine parvo is there are two types, CPV1 and CPV2, and several variants of CPV2; 2a, 2b and 2c, and some vaccines may not provide protection against 2c. If the vaccine protects against variant 2b, it should cross protect against 2a and 2c, but if it is based on the 2a variant, it will protect against 2b, but not 2c.. if I understand the methodology correctly.

Parvo mostly attacks rapidly dividing cells. In puppies, that would be the intestinal tract, which is why most puppies have the gastric form of parvo. Cardiac parvo is thought to occur from prenatal exposure, but when it's not it usually happens in very young puppies during a period of rapid growth of the heart muscle.

When adult dogs have caught parvo, it's because they were not properly vaccinated (maternal antibodies overcame the vaccine), or they have a compromised immune system.
I would ask your vet if a titer test can determine adequate levels of protection, given the situation, as well as a CBC to determine how her immune system is recovering or if it's still compromised.
You can discuss this information I found with your vet as well.

"Q: Hello, Just this week, I lost a 5 mo. old Boxer pup to Parvo. I have a 4 year old Beagle in the house as well. He has had his proper shots and recieved a booster as soon as the pup was diagnosed. The Beagle, so far, shows no symptoms of the disease. (Let's hope it stays that way!) The Beagle was removed from the household until I had bleached the yard 3 times in a 50/50 solution of bleach/water. The lawn has been cut after each bleaching. The house, floors, furniture and my bedding have been treated the same. All the bedding, toys etc of both the pup and Beagle have been dicarded and the Beagle has been given brand new items to replace them. I have brought the Beagle home now. The back yard was the area where the pup "left" all her body fluids etc. How long should I wait before - 1). I let the Beagle have access to the backyard? - 2) I can consider bringing in another Dog into the household, and would a Pup be out of the question? Note that neither animal had been out of the yard. Thanx!

A: It is very very unlikely that your Beagle will develop clinical symptoms of parvovirus. Older dogs, even if infected, often will not develop observable disease symptoms from parvovirus. Since your dog was vaccinated there is very little worry that he will have problems.
Parvovirus can live a long time in the environment. This makes it harder to advise you concerning getting a new puppy. It is possible that parvovirus can live several months (I have seen references to as long as 5 or 6 months) in the environment. You have taken good steps to reduce the risk but there would be some risk to a new puppy, especially in the next two to three months.
I would be hesitant to get a new puppy for awhile if it is less than 20 weeks of age. If it is over that age and has been vaccinated at 16 and 20 weeks of age for parvovirus, the odds are very very good that the vaccine will have protected the new puppy by then.
Mike Richards, DVM"

I would use a footbath for now, when coming home from visiting. A pan with bleach in it, or parvocide at the door, before you come in, and you shouldn't have to worry about tracking it in on your feet.
I know the worry that parvo exposure can bring.. But I don't think that you'll have to wait three years before being able to visit family, or take Princess to visit.
Belle Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!