View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
McheleM
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess10 View Post
My questions are: My vet said they recommend you avoid the area for three years as it could harbor the virus. My mom's vet said six months. Either way, what about the dogs living there or the fact that Princess has been there & would love to return in the future? The vet said the vaccine is not a guarantee any dog can't get it & said since Princess was spayed (Feb.) & sick (June) she's considered compromised. Hopefully her immunity will strengthen in time, but should we really stay away for 3 years? Plus what about what could be on my shoes that's been brought home & the dogs still living in the house? Is there anything that can be done there to reduce exposure to them?

Thanks!
bleach will kill parvovirus on your walls, floors, etc. Parvo can live in the soil and any other areas for years, and is temperature resistant. It can also stay on your shoes, clothes and even the fur of a dog. I would not take princess to your moms until you know she's safe. Vaccines are not a guarantee against it, and supposedly once they've had it, they won't get it again but there are rare cases of it happening (like chicken pox). You can go back and search for the parvo thread I had about Noah. He's our little 1 1/2 pound miracle dog. The vet honestly didn't expect him to live, but after 11 days (and 6500.00) we brought him home. I was devastated because the vet told me it's something that you will probably never be able to get rid of in your home and yard, and even after a dog has it, they continue to shed the virus for several weeks to months. Even if you treated your yard, other untreated dogs can bring it in, as well as raccoons, birds, and other animals. When it rains, it washes any contaminated poop into the soil, depositing the virus there where it continues to live. Guests can bring it in on their clothes, shoes, and hands too.

You can have princess tested and see if it shows up. Watch her for any lethargy, not eating, vomiting, diarrhea, blood in her stools, or just anything abnormal. Noah never exhibited any signs, and we just happened to find out he had it because of a reaction he had to a vaccine-of all things, a parvo vaccine. Feel free to message me if you want.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!