View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
gidget529
Gidget & Sidney's Mom
Donating Member

4 months old is a little young to be shooting for 100% accuracy in potty-training. This breed is notorious for being harder to potty train. I have heard on breeder on this forum say she tells ppl who get a puppy from her not to expect to much until 6 months of age. At this age, it is mostly on you whether he hits the pad or not. You have to be diligent watching him and helping him understand. He does not speak human fluently.

As for the biting, please do not hit this dog anymore. That teaches him nothing but to be afraid of both of you. When mine would puppy bite, I would say "No Bite, get a toy" and then pick up one of her toys to play. If your pup was left w his mother longer, his mother would have taught him this, but this job is now up to you and your gf. The pup soon learns, if they want to play w you they need to bring you a toy. I had great success w this method. It takes repetition at first. Don't get upset if they don't remember on their own for while. Just remind them. "No Bite, get a toy" - then pick up the toy and play. He is just trying to engage you and interact w you and does not know how.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!