View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
roseylovestosho
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Hitting the dog will only make the biting worse. You can't expect immediate results when teaching the dog bite inhibition, especially if you're not being consistent in the training. Both you and your girlfriend have to be on the same page because if you aren't the dog will never learn. When Teddy used to bite me I would yell "ow" as loud as I could immediately after he bit me. If he did it again I would repeat and stop playing with him. If he was consistently biting me even after yelling "ow" I would grab him and put him in his crate for a minute or two and then bring him back out and start all over again. The crate would be the last resort but you CANNOT just stuff the dog in the crate for long periods of time after biting because he'll forget why he was in there in the first place. A minute is long enough. It took about a month for Teddy to completely "get it" and now he doesn't bite AT ALL. But please, stop your girlfriend from spanking the dog because it is not teaching your dog anything except for it to be scared of you.

Join today and remove this ad!