View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 01:38 PM   #11
SoCalyorkiLvr
BANNED!

I have to agree with the original poster....

I think there is a definite prejudice against tinies in general. Here's a few reasons why I think this:

1.While there is no real evidence to suggest that they are any more prone to disease than other yorkies, there are lots of people who discourage people from owning them for this reason.

2.There is no evidence that they live shorter lives and yet that is said all the time to discourage against them

3. There is no evidence that they are more shy and/or timid than other yorkies and yet breeders and other "experts" say this as well.

4. There is an inordinant amount of criticism for "people" who want one and they are said to be looking for "an accessory" or just want to dress it up and they care nothing about the dog.

5. The mere existence of tinies is disdainful to some who feel they are not representative of the breed standard even though the breed standard says "under 7 pounds" too many people have "heard" the breed standard is "4 to 7" pounds so they promulgate that concern. For some breeders, anything not within the breed standard is not worth producing.

6. The whole "there is no such thing as a teacup" and the campaign against a word is evidence that there are some who wish they did not exist and that they are harming the breed.

7. There are some who call tinies "the flavor of the month" or refer to them as not really yorkshire terriers because they are so small as they do with any dog not within the breed standard and they blame these dogs and the people who breed them for somehow diluting the breed.

I have four yorkies in my family who are under five pounds. Did I buy for size? Yes.., they are service dogs and have to travel easily. Do I like the attention they get? No, it wastes my time frankly when I am on a schedule running errands. Maybe this is why people think those of us with cute dogs are arrogant becasue sometimes I will admit I am rude or I ignore people's oooooos and ahhhhhhs and keep walking. I usually try to at least smile but I usually do not stop unless I have extra time. Are any of them shy and timid? No, same big dog in a little dog's body as most yorkies. Are any of them "sickly"? No, one had coccidia as a puppy but any yorkie puppy can get that. Only one of the three had a low blood sugar incident and it was just one at 11 weeks. One gets carsick and one has a sensitive stomach but that's about it. My tiniest is the healthiest, has never even thrown up and will eat almost anything. She would also take on the rottweiller if I would let her!! None have open fontenelles or any other conditions common to tinies and they have all learned how to stay out from under feet as all yorkies do. They are VERY athletic!!

Yes, it is true that not everyone should own one as they require extra care and they are small so they are fragile and can be hurt if not protected. It is similar to always having a baby in the house imo. This is what I tell my family and friends. It is really easier than that but it gets my point across.

I don't think it is just that people are opposed to breeding tinies, I think there is an overall prejudice on the part of some against people owning them too.JMHO.

Last edited by SoCalyorkiLvr; 01-03-2006 at 01:42 PM.
SoCalyorkiLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!