View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #243
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
My point is that 30 days of antibiotics would have been 2 months ago. .
It took 2 weeks to finish the meds she had from her surgery, get the results back from the surgery, locate the meds they gave to the wrong client, refill the script and pick it up at my reg vets' office. She took the Amoxi for 30 days, the vet said to wait an additional 30 days, then go to my reg vet for a UA to check that it was cleared. Then another week to wait for those results and get the meds. Plus I skipped about 4-5 days intermittantly due to Tink's vomiting while adjusting the Ursodiol med. So I made the appointment when the Amoxi was finished.

Quote:
I just don't follow how after you waited two years to do something about the shunt that it is now the surgeon's fault? I mean...you said once that you were waiting and doing your own research, but now it was your vet I think you are saying?. Irregardless of who it was that chose to not do anything about it for so long, I am just not following the point of blaming a surgeon. I am not defending him/her either..just trying to wrap my brain around all of this. .
Tink's initial BAT results were not that high, and my vet wanted to try her on a restricted protein diet and medications (AB's, Lactulose, Denamarin), which was accepted protocol at that time. Initially she weighed 9 lbs, and I wanted to try to get some weigh on her before going in for surgery, if it was necessary. She came back with a high ALT from ingesting rancid grease, that took about 6 months to resolve, at which time she was also put on the Prescription Diet L/D and kept on the Lactulose and Denamarin. Her BAT was redone, and came back very high, so we proceded with the U/S and then surgery. In the meantime, Tink steadily put on weight and now weighs 14 pounds.

I did do a lot of 'research', and discussed everything I found with my vets. I did request additional tests to be done as a result of my research, that were done in addition to her regular bloodwork that was being done to monitor her condition.

Quote:
And, if ultrasound is not 100% I am sure your vet is aware of that fact. I would think that if the surgeon was IN there, he/she should know for a fact how many shunts there were?

Just confused and not following this whole thing is all.
Ultrasound is not 100%, but that means if no shunt is seen on U/S, there may still be one. A shunt was seen on Tink's U/S, so there was no need for further testing. The U/S was done by an independent company and an Ultrasound Technician, and reviewed by a vet whose specialty is U/S and LS. In addition to the shunt, her kidneys were swollen and had minor calculi. The surgeon said they appeared fine, he found no evidence of anything going on with them.

I am not blaming anyone, I just want to know what is going on with my dog.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!