Thread: Tallulah Update
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
boopster
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Tallulah Update

I haven't posted much lately because there just haven't been enough hours in the day. But I wanted to post an update on Tallulah's digestive problem and see if anyone else has had the same issues.

Tallulah has had chronic diarrhea since late February. If we put her on Albon, it stops the diarrhea within minutes. And as long as she stays on the Albon she's fine.

She has had medications for all of the common critters, even though multiple stool samples and a swab test (yuck!) have failed to reveal any parasites. She also had a blood test for protein issues that came back negative. The last test was a panel that not only looked for multiple critters but the enzymes that they leave behind. All negative.

We've tried several different diets, phased in over several days, but with no success. Today her vet recommended putting her on a limited ingredient diet -- Royal Canin venison and potato. I mixed a little bit in her dinner tonight, and she seemed to really like it. He says it's pretty unusual for a dog this young (just over 7 months old when it started) to have food allergies or sensitivities, but we've ruled out most of the common problems.

I had a consulting vet go over her history with me and she recommended the same course of diagnosis and treatment as her current vet (our family vet was in the hospital when all this started and died a few weeks ago) and I feel comfortable that she's getting good treatment.

Has anyone else's Yorkies had the same problem - chronic diarrhea with no other symptoms?

If she didn't have the diarrhea, you would think she was 100% perfect. She is thriving - good weight, bright eyes, healthy looking coat, physical exam just fine. The doctors agree that we need to take this seriously and find a solution but it is not a medical emergency as long as we can control the diarrhea.

So as I'm writing this, Tallulah just threw up her dinner. This is only the second time she's vomited since I brought her home last October. Guess it's going to be a long night...
boopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!