View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
CarlyBaby
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Great advice Lori

I went to watch my breeder at one show before I entered my first show. She was there too, thank God ! I knew absolutely nothing. From then on I went to all of the other shows without help or mentoring. I would suggest if you can find a mentor-do so !

Also, handling classes are a great idea if you have them available to you. This was my turning point. You and your dog will experience the atmosphere of a dogshow with all of it's chaos and noises.Also the ring work and table work,and the mock judge examinations. This all helps.

Besides that I watch countless videos on youtube and DVDs of yorkie specialties and watch how the pros do it.

I find there is a lot to showing and caring for yorkies. The biggest difference between them and other toy breeds would be the coat.Daily maintenance for between shows and the actual preparing of the coat for a show.Two totally different things.

Sounds discouraging, but really if you love it ...it isn't.I love all aspects of caring for and presenting the dogs.The social part is fun too, I've met a lot of great people that share my obsession !
CarlyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!