Thread: Inline breeding
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
YorkieRose
No Longer a Member

Default breeding

Inbreeding or line breeding?
Doesn't matter..AKC does not get involved with telling breeders how to breed. The problem is this...unless all puppies are DNA tested before selling, a person has no clue who sired or whelped what. A breeder can say xx and xx are the parents, but you only have their word for it.
Unfortanely, even breeders have unknowning accidents..in a perfect dog breeding world of my making..all dogs would be DNAed (won't stop genetic problems of course)..then all pups shoudl be DNA'ed before selling. I do not think people should be able to breed more then a certain number of litters per year, 4 to 6 sounds reasonable..that would stop all mills...but this is American and we can use and abuse animals all we want.

I will have to take the breeders side for a minute. These things are not as black and white as they may look. Liver shunt can skip many, generations..so can most genetic problems. If a breeder gets LS, then ethically they should try not to get it again..but unfortunately, even researchers have no clue as to how it is passed in the genes..I have seen dozens of pedigrees with suspicious LS carriers, but the breeders have sound pups..I have seen other unrelated, non-suspect carriers produce a LS puppy...

There are no rules or laws, so no one can enforce something that does not exist. Sounds harsh, but it is a fact.
YorkieRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!